COVID-19 Update from Beyond Diving
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post regarding the steps we are taking at Beyond Diving in Playa del Carmen to protect you and ourselves during this unprecedented situation.
For starters, our return to operations will be a very gradual affair. We will not simply one day reopen as though nothing ever happened. Although our local, state and federal governments have allowed for dive centers to reopen and operate at 30-50% capacity for the time being, we have opted to err on the side of caution and remain closed for now.
During the past several months, I personally got involved with the development of a sanitizing solution which is now approved by the EPA, USDA, FDA, SAGARPA and many other government agencies. This sanitizing solution is not toxic to us, animals or the environment, is 100% biodegradable and it is not corrosive or reactive towards our equipment. This is the sanitizing solution that we are using at the shop, and many other shops and businesses in Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Puerto Morelos and elsewhere in the Riviera Maya are also using it.
When we do reopen at some point in the next few weeks, we will not go over 30-50% capacity at any point even if we are allowed to be at 100%.
The safety & well-being of our divers, staff, and crew are a Top Priority here at Beyond Diving. We have changed a few things around the shop and implemented new policies for the dive boats and trips to cenotes, and appreciate your help with these safety measures.
If you are feeling unwell or sick (i.e., persistent cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, OR at least two of the following: fever, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell), please give us a call to reschedule. DO NOT enter the Dive Shop. DO NOT Dive. This list is not all-inclusive: please seek medical advice as soon as possible.
All of us at Beyond Diving want to help you get back underwater as safely as possible. These are the changes that we have implemented that will allow us to take you diving.
Checking In at the Dive Shop:
- Please fill out the Beyond Diving Waiver Form that we will email you prior to arrival and Email your completed waiver form to us. This will help us eliminate paper waste and limit exposure to contaminants passed on through paper. Please have your certification card out and ready to show to our staff. Don’t forget your Nitrox c-card, if you are planning on diving Nitrox.
- We will be taking everyone’s temperature before allowing people to enter the shop, and everybody must step on the sanitizing pad at the entrance of the store to disinfect shoes prior to entering.
- All Staff & Guests are asked to wear a face cover.
- We will be limiting the number of people in the dive shop, please make sure to maintain Social Distancing while in the dive shop and outdoor area.
- The dive shop will be disinfected throughout the day, please avoid touching things unless necessary or purchasing.
- All rental equipment and tanks will be sanitized by our staff members. Please do not touch other diver’s gear.
On the Dive Boat and Trips to Cenotes:
- All Dive Crew & Guests are asked to wear a face cover.
- Please have all your dive gear (excluding tanks) inside a gear bag or bin upon boarding the dive boat or truck.
- Please practice Social Distancing while on the boat, truck and in open air areas. Scuba tanks will be spaced on the boat to help with this.
- We encourage everyone to bring their own reusable water bottle.
- Please remember to bring a towel, snacks or lunch, and personal disinfecting products. No bleach products allowed .
- Please do not spit in your mask or on the deck of the boat. If you do not have Defog solution, we have spray bottles of Defog. There will be NO communal mask rinse bucket. We will have jugs of water to splash into your masks if needed.
- The dive boat and trucks will be disinfected throughout the day..
Tips to help keep you safe and minimize risk for exposure.
- Divers should sanitize their dive equipment, especially – masks, snorkels, whistles, orally inflated SMB’s, BCD oral inflators, and second stages of regulators. All Beyond Diving rental dive equipment is be disinfected immediately after each use.
- Use a defog solution instead of spit for your mask.
- Dive buddies should not use/share the same mouthpiece unless it’s an emergency situation.
- Carry disinfectant solution in your dive bag in case needed.
- Wear a face cover (i.e., face mask, gaiter, buff, bandana, etc.)
- Practice Social Distancing while in the Dive Shop, Outdoor areas, trucks and Dive Boats
- Practice proper hygiene, including frequently washing your hands, coughing or sneezing into your elbow and not touching your face.
We appreciate your help and understanding with these guidelines that we have in place for your and our health and safety.
Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Erik Rosenstein – Owner, Beyond Diving